I’m a big fan of Meatless Monday…its a great way of testing out your veggie tastebuds and getting more experimental with vegetarian food. Here’a a recipe for a personal favourite of mine.
What’ll you need (serves 2):
- Halloumi – about 150g
- Farro – 130g – this is a type of wheat that is very similar in texture and taste to brown rice. It isn’t gluten free but it is lower in gluten than other wheat grains. Farro is available in Tesco and in most health shops.
- Cucumber – Half
- Sundried tomatos – About 4-5
- Spring onions – 2 spring onions
- Tomato puree – 1 large tablespoon
- Chilli flakes – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon – 1 lemon
- Mixed seeds – 2 tablespoon
- Parsley – 1 bunch
- Mint – 1 bunch
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Fill a medium saucepan with salted water, place over a high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once water comes to the boil add the farro and cook according to instructions
- In the meantime prep the dressing for the farro
- Mix together the zest & juice of the lemon, the tomato puree, 1 tbsp of olive oil & the chilli flakes. Season with salt & pepper.
- Dice the cucumber, sundried tomatoes & spring onions
- Chop the parsley and mint leaves – you can disregard the stalks
- When the farro is nearly ready start heating up a frying pan
- Put a small amount of oil on the pan and fry the halloumi for a couple of minutes on both sides to give it a nice golden colour
- Once farro is ready strain using a colander and add the cucumber, sundried tomatoes, mixed seeds and the dressing.
- Mix well together
- At the last minute add the parsley, mint & spring onion
- Serve halloumi on bed of the farro salad
Serve & enjoy!